Tuesday, April 26, 2011

LONESTAR "STATE" OF MIND

This week opened up and we saw Buddy hanging the sign to his new restaurant. The next shot was of Big Mary's BBQ spot. A not too subtle preview of some tension to come I gathered.

Not really sure why Eric is on the outside looking in as Mac explained to him but I did like how he didn't lose his composure or focus in front of the coaches or team.

"You chalk that field yet?"

Eric has breathed new life into this program. As the show came to a close we saw him glance into the stands. What used to be empty seats on game days were now filled with adoring fans showing their Lion pride. What the governing board is trying to do to his kids is wrong, no doubt about it. So how do you shut them up and make them believers? STATE. You win it all there's no way they can leave you off the rankings. The team rallied behind Eric setting up what will hopefully be a magic run to the state finals. Even a disgruntled Luke cracked a smile knowing Eric has his back.


The football story line is taking shape and I could not be happier. As for the other story lines I find myself split. As much as I love me some Tami Taylor, I'm not sure if I'm buying into the whole save Epyck scenario.
Things almost got interesting though at happy hour when Laurel ran out to catch Tami in the parking lot. We all remember the last time a colleague of Tammy's did this.(GLEN!) Sadly there was no pass made but instead Tami seemed to have gained an ally at East. Yay, I guess. Did love how Eric was so supportive of her going to the bar though.
Julie is lonely at college. Shocker! So now she is falling for the married T.A. Shrug. I love seeing her on screen, and her cockiness at the history department mixer calling the 36 Throwback game was nice, but I think I'll ask that fraternity pledge to take notes for me as well on how this one turns out.

Jess loves her a project. She lamented how she missed the football moments with Vince since the season got underway. Recall how she tutored Landry on kicking. I don't think it's a far cry to think she might take on the Lion's recent basketball convert Hastings as her new project.

Really like the Becky storyline staying with Billy and Mindi and how they, well Mindi, waited up for her. Becky has grown up a lot. Luke was great as he told her how he traded Tinker his pig so she could be his rally girl and even better was when she declined his invite to come into his house when he was so clearly drunk. She wants Luke, just not in a drunken haze. Can't really blame Mindy for being a little jealous of her what with the shorts and all, but she did well to change her tune after Billy reminded her of the sacrifice Tim was making for them.

Vince hugging his mom and asking her where she wanted to live after showing her the recruitment letters had me reaching for the tissues. That scene and the chills I got from when Eric wrote "STATE" on the board were enough for me to call this a good episode overall. I'm a little worried about Luke. He is developing a rather large chip on his shoulder.

Some of my favorite quotes:

Epyck: Everyone in Texas smokes, babies smoke in this state.
Tami: Well even Babies can't smoke on school property.

Hastings: Billy you got any protein on you?

Eric: Do I look worried about anything ti you?

Hastings: Po-rn, I got lots of po-rn.

Tami: Panties in lockers is part of Texas high school football.

Vince: They want me!

Eric: What do you want for breakfast?
Gracie: Mac-n-Cheese please!

Vince: You've been really angry lately Luke, you need a hug?

Becky: I'm just not used to people caring.

3 comments:

  1. Two things....


    1) How does Julie go to college and seemingly not know anyone. The first week of college you meet and become friends with a ton of people

    2) I dont like where this is going with Vince getting his mom a job. Something tells me this guy is going to be an alum of some school and this is going to come back around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he most def will get the end around of that free meal and job for his mom. See Butch McCrae from blue Chips.

    Now someone "get a tutor for Tony for TV,all right!?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie is awkward, I'm not surprised she's having a weird time at school. Loved Vince and the recruitment letters and the transformation of Mindi from jealous to mama bear.

    also...

    STATE.

    ReplyDelete